Falcon Weekly Reminder
December 11 - December 15
The mission of the Universal Academy of Florida is to teach our students the principles and practices of Islam and prepare them for academic success and good citizenship.
Thankfulness has recently become a focus in psychological research. There is a positive psychological effect in feeling thankful that results in appreciating life as it is. We must learn to be aware of and to appreciate the good things in this world to prevent taking them for granted. Being aware of the fact that it is Allah only who has helped us in our life will make us appreciate His blessings more. There is a link between practicing gratitude and feeling happy. (Islamcity.org)
In a Sahih Hadith A’ishah, the beloved wife of the Prophet narrates after she observed the prophet praying all night till his blessed feet were swollen, she asked him afterward. “O Prophet of Allah, why do you undergo so much hardship despite the fact that Allah has pardoned for you your earlier and later sins?” He responded, “Afala akuna abdan shakura? Should I not prove myself to be a thankful servant?”
We learn from this hadith that gratitude is shown through deeds. Shukr is by action. The Prophet was not commanded to worship to this degree but rather it was a complete act of devotion and thankfulness to Allah (azza wa jall).
Motto: “When I start to count my blessings, my whole life turns around!”
A big thank you to our staff and community volunteers for helping with the STEM Fair.
Alhamdulillah, the school STEM Fair went well and judges had quite a discussion before deciding the winners.
STEM FAIR Winners:
- Kindergarten K -C Under What Temperature Sugar Crystalizes Better
- First Grade 1-A - How Does Capillary Action Work?
- Second Grade 2- B Got Goo
- Third Grade Group Projects
3 AG 7: Jenna Khdeir and Zaina Hamouda - Watch Them Grow
3 BG 20: Muhammed Swelem, Kareem Shahwan, and Muhammad Hannoun-Racing Robotics
- Third Grade Individual Projects
3 A20 : Adam Sharieff - Keep Your Candy Cool With the Power of Evaporation.
3 A6: Haroon Habib - Temperature and its Effect on Viscosity -
- Fourth Grade Group Projects
4AG5: Ridwan Alnajar and Arqam Chikhalia - Hovercraft
4CG9: Anaum Ali and Narjes Bentahar - Fruggy Battery
- Fourth Grade Individual Projects
- Fifth Grade Group Projects
- Fifth Grade Individual Projects
- Muffins with Moms: UAF PTO is hosting " Muffins with Moms" on Dec 18, 2017 at 8:00 a.m (Grades PK - 5th). To make this event successful, PTO needs your support.Please signup for product donation and/or volunteering for a few hours (you may sign up for more than one slot) at www.signupgenius.com/go/4090b4aaaa62babfa7-muffins . Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Attendance Line: Parents are required to report their child's absence, please call the UAF Attendance line (Extension 6) or email email@example.com . Please be sure to notify the school by 12 p.m. on the day of the absence to excuse the absence; otherwise students will be marked unexcused and will not be allowed to make-up missed assignments.
- E-Rate Program: The E-rate program is a federal program which provides schools and libraries across the country with substantial discounts on their technology services. We need your help to qualify for the largest discount allowable by providing us with some very general information. Please take a minute to fill out the survey. Here is the link: UAF E-Rate Survey
- Step Up For Student Application: Applications for the 2018-2019 SUFS scholarship are now available for renewing families. Use this link to start your application:
- 2018-2019 SUFS Award Letters: Submit SUFS award letters to: SUFS@uaftampa.org.
Please click on the link above or check the UAF website for the most updated news about UAF athletics tryouts, practice, and games.
CAFETERIA MENU: December
This Week at UAF:
Monday, Dec. 11
- Have a great week, Insha’Allah!
Tuesday, Dec. 12
- Study Skills assembly for 6th-11th grade students
- Middle School Character Assembly 7A
- UAF Reads
Wednesday, Dec. 13
Elementary Assembly: 5B
No uniform day for students whose parents purchased their banquet tickets before November 17th.
Thursday, Dec. 14
- UAF Reads
- High School Character Assembly 11B
- NHS Bake Sale: Frappes and Cookies
Fajr and Pancakes for Secondary BOYS (6th - 12th grade): They will meet at ISTABA Sligh Masjid at 6 am for Fajr Salah and then walk over to school and enjoy pancakes for breakfast!
Suratu Al-Kahf Recitation and Tafseer during homeroom
- Dec. 18: Muffins with Moms (PK - 5th grade)
- Dec. 19-21:Half Day for Students (Dismissal at 12:20 pm)
- Dec. 20 – 22: Semester 1 Exams
- Dec. 25 – Jan. 2: Winter Break
- Jan.3: Classes Resume - Quarter 3 Begins
- Jan. 11: Written-in class Spelling Bee for Middle School
- Jan. 12: Quarter 2 Award Assembly
Did you know....
Living in the present has great health benefits.
Benefits of living in the Present
Studies have shown that sitting still, choosing a focal point such as a noise or an image, and breathing has beneficial effects on your immune function, your brain, and increase in antibody production.
The practice of mindfulness acts as a buffer against depressive symptoms.
The benefits include greater effectiveness in action and an inner silence and an enhanced ability to cope with stress.
Click here for more information on the benefits of staying in the present: PRESENT